Monday, July 7, 2008

Nick's Eye!

My little Nick has a hurt eye. I can't even really write about it but I will try. On Wednesday at dinner I put Nick in his high chair so that he would not get in the way and would be safe. I also pushed his high chair up to the table so that he could see what I was doing. We were having spaghetti for dinner. I was pouring hot spaghetti sauce on to the noodles and the container that the spaghetti sauce was in slipped out of my hand and landed on the table. When the container landed on the table the sauce flew out of the container towards Nicolas (the container landed about two and a half feet from him). The sauce landed in the area around his right eye.
Luckily he closed his eye. He ended up with second degree burns from his cheek all the way up to his hair line. He also has some first degree burns on his ear lobe and chin. He was hysterical at first. OK so I was a little hysterical too. I rushed him to the shower and jumped in with both of us fully dressed to try and run cold water over the burned area (he didn't like this at all). I then got Aloe Vera and smeared it all over the affected area trying to pull out the heat. I also called the doctor. It is possible the doctor thought I was a little crazy since I called about five times that night.
It looked like the burn was not to bad and then the blisters started forming on his face. He had blisters all over the right side of his forehead, eyebrow, eyelid, under his eye and the right side of his nose. This is when I really started to freak out. My beautiful little baby hurt all because of me and some stupid spaghetti sauce!
The doctor said to stay put and bring him in first thing in the morning. Over night his eye swelled shut and some of the blisters started to ooze. The doctor said that he has second degree burns of a superficial thickness and that hopefully he will have no long term scaring. Right now it looks pretty impressive. At this point it is all scabbed over. He is being very good about not picking at the scabs (hopefully he keeps it up). The doctor also said that there is no damage to the retina or eye socket!
I am so worried that he will be disfigured for life (even though I know everything will be OK). I have no idea how people are able to live with themselves that accidental hurt any child. I sat up all night holding him and crying. I gained a new empathy for people who have accidentally severely injured their children. His injuries are really pretty minor. I have no idea how I would handle it if he was severely hurt. Nick has bin a good sport. I have bin putting Nick's medicine on in his sleep. He has bin so good about it. I know I would not be happy if someone was smearing stuff on my eye while I slept. Know that the swelling has gone down and the blisters have scabbed over he is starting to look more like his beautiful self only scabbed over. If you know of any miracle burn cures let me know!

My poor little guy!

5 comments:

The Fear Fam said...

Oh I am so sorry to hear that!! I know how you feel because I accidently hurt Bea once when she was 6 months old, and it was horrible. I thought I had killed her. Anyway, I am glad there is no damage to his eye, and I'm sure the burns will heal just fine.

~Amy

J&E&A&H said...

So sad! Don't be too hard on yourself, Meaghan! Accidents happen, and everyone who knows you knows you would go to the end of the earth to protect your little ones. I know the power of projectile food, too. I once dropped a container of really spicy hot salsa and it hit the ceiling (literally) and I got a jalepeno in my eye. It hurt like crazy. Give Nick our love, ok?

Meg said...

The spagetti sauce was on the ceiling, the wall (six feet away) and the floor. It got every where. If Nick had not bin in the path of the Spagetti sauce it might have been kinda funny.

The Farrell Family said...

Poor little Nick! Having a hurt little one is the worst. I'm glad his eye is going to be ok and don't beat yourself up over this Meg. That darn flying spaghetti sauce!

Leslie said...

Oh, Meg - I am so sorry and so glad that he is going to be just fine. Aidan fell in the tub once when he was about a year and chipped his two front teeth and I was sitting right next to him and felt so sick. I could only call the dentist after we both stopped crying... Hug yourself and your boys for me!